It’s Friday night. I have a hankering for something sweet. I search the cabinets for some chocolate… nothing. I search the freezer for some ice cream… nothing. I decide to make cookies… no eggs. Oh bother! Why didn’t I go grocery shopping today? Tired after a long week, I’m cozy in pajamas and there is no way I’m heading to the store now. As I prepare to sweet talk my husband into buying desert, it dawns on me that I have all the ingredients at home to make one of my favorite deserts. Berry crisp!
I love a good berry crisp. With golden crispy topping and warm bubbly berries, honestly, what’s not love?
I came up with this recipe several years ago when we had berries coming out of our ears as a result of several very happy blackberry plants. Berry crisps are a great way to use fruit that is ready to spoil. It also works well with frozen berries.
This recipe is not only delicious but it’s quick to make (great for those late night hankerings) and uses ingredients I always have on hand. If I don’t have berries in the fridge or garden, I usually always have some in the freezer. All the other ingredients needed for this recipe are kitchen essentials I stock up on.
The filling for this crisp is easy peasy to make. Simply mix berries, sugar, lemon juice, and flour together and you are in business. The flour helps the filling gel slightly as it cooks.
Best part of this recipe – the topping. It tastes just like an oatmeal cookie. It’s so good I could eat it by the spoon full (and I have).
Pile the topping over your berries, pop in the oven, and in 30 minutes your desert is ready to enjoy!
Tart, sweet, warm, creamy, fruity, crisp, and amazing. This recipe is my go-to desert and I hope it will be yours too. Happy cooking (and eating)! 🙂
- 4 Cups Fresh or Frozen Berries
- Butter to Grease Ramekins
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Cup plus 3 Tablespoons Flour
- 3 Tablespoons Lemon Juice*
- 1/2 Cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 Cup Oats
- Pinch of Salt
*No lemons on hand? No problem. You can substitute equal parts vinegar to replace the lemon juice.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease 4 small ramekins with butter.
- In a large bowl combine 1/2 cup flour, brown sugar, 1/4 cup sugar, cinnamon, salt and oats. Using a pastry blender, fork or your hands, cut in the butter. Keep cold until ready to use.
- Place berries of choice in a large bowl. Toss gently with 1/4 cup sugar, lemon, and 3 tablespoons of flour. Spoon the berries into the greased ramekins.
- Pour the crumble over the top of the berries and press down slightly to compact. The contents of the ramekin will sink while baking so don’t worry if they are close to the top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes. The crisp is done when the crust is browned and the topping looks crunchy. Serve warm or room temperature with whipped or ice cream. Enjoy!